What is laser skin resurfacing?
Laser skin resurfacing uses light energy to address fine lines, uneven skin texture and brown spots that are often associated with sun exposure, aging and lifestyle habits such as smoking. Patients with light-to-medium skin tones are the best candidates for laser skin resurfacing.
Resurfacing lasers can be ablative or non-ablative.
Non-ablative lasers are more superficial and do not remove skin. Ablative lasers penetrate deeper into the skin, removing a thin layer from the skin surface. Fractional lasers can be either ablative or non-ablative. Only a fraction of the skin is exposed to the laser beam in a pattern of “tiny dots”. Columns of damaged tissue are removed. The body responds by creating healthy, new skin, full of fresh collagen. Collagen formation creates more volume and improves the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation, scarring and skin tone.
The extent of skin damage and aging may require different treatments. The specific laser procedure is selected depending on your skin type and specific needs, and combination therapy maybe recommended during the single treatment to improve your results.
What laser does Dr. Levin use?
Pearl laser, made by Cutera, Inc., is a FDA-approved new state-of-the-art laser procedure for treating sun damage, uneven texture, brown spots, and fine lines & wrinkles. The technology has three forms: Pearl, Pearl Fractional & Pearl Fusion.
This advanced technology provides the most ideal balance between cosmetic benefit and minimal downtime. The Pearl procedure is ideal for patients of almost any age searching for a safe and uncomplicated way to restore the skin’s youthful look and feel in only one or two treatments.
Pearl addresses all common skin problems:
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Uneven skin texture & discoloration
- Sun damage
- Pore size
What happens during the Pearl laser treatment:
- An anesthetic cream is applied to the skin for 30-45 minutes. After its removed, the skin is cleaned with an antiseptic (anti-bacterial solution).
- During a 15-minute procedure, pulses of light are gently delivered to the skin surface layer (epidermis), which removes sun damage and brown spots
- The laser simultaneously sends heat to deeper layers of skin to stimulate longer-term collagen growth. This reduces the appearance of fine lines, especially on the forehead and around the eyes and mouth.
- A natural protective layer forms on the skin, alleviating the need for wound care
- The treated skin will look and feel slightly sunburned
- On day 3 or 4, the protective layer will peel away, leaving new, soft, vibrant skin, with a healthy glow
- Written instructions are given detailing the post-procedure care regimen
Pearl Factional Laser
Pearl Fractional represents the most innovative technology in fractional lasers, providing an ideal combination of results and rapid recovery. Many patients notice an immediate significant improvement in the signs of aging after just one treatment. Over the long term, patients see continued effects, including increased volume and firmness. Pearl Fractional can be used on the entire face and is uniquely effective in the delicate eye and mouth areas, which often show the first signs of aging and can be the most challenging to treat.
The procedure is similar to that of the Pearl laser.
- A topical numbing cream is applied prior to the treatment
- Most patients describe the treatment as a series of fast, hot pinches
- After the treatment, the skin may feel similarly to a sunburn with redness and swelling
- Written instructions are given detailing the post-procedure care regimen and what to expect during the healing phase
- The recovery time is slightly longer than that of the Pearl laser, usually 7 days.
Pearl Fusion Laser
Pearl Fusion is the latest total skin renewal concept that provides striking single treatment results and high patient satisfaction. By applying a unique laser wavelength, Cutera’s engineering team has delivered a technology to treat both the upper and deep layers of the skin all in one treatment session.
Pearl Fusion combines two lasers. The Pearl laser addresses upper skin layer problems such as brown spots, uneven skin texture and fine wrinkles. Pearl Fractional penetrates the deeper skin layers to improve more challenging conditions such as creases around the mouth and eyes. The physician first treats the entire face with the Pearl laser; then Pearl Fractional is applied in facial areas requiring a more aggressive treatment. Pearl Fusion’s approach results in immediate improvement in the complexion, reducing the signs of sun-induced damage and aging. Over the long term, patients notice continued structural changes in their skin, including increased volume and firmness.